Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Coastal Route

We rented a car and drove north via an inland route and back to Belfast along the coast. Today is the longest day of the year and it was sun and blue skies the entire day, though temps never got out of the 50s and it was pretty breezy. I think this might be as good a day as we could possibly have had weather-wise in the north of Ireland in June.

We got turned around and lost numerous times, but Roger drove on the wrong side of the road only once and we didn't hit anything. There were a few times on the twisty narrow B roads that our hearts were in our throats, however.

I took a lot of photos on my camera, but only a couple of crap ones on the phone.

The Dark Hedges, a two hundred year old tunnel of beech trees seen in Game of Thrones:


Giant's Causeway, which is pretty spectacular:




When we got back into Belfast, we thought we'd drive over to the Shankill Road to look at the unionist murals. We made several attempts to get there via what looked on the map like through streets, only to encounter the barricades of the "peace wall." It might be that the gates had been closed at 6 or 7 pm, before we got there. It was a stark example of what local residents encounter as they try to get from one part of Belfast to another.


When we did reach the Shankill Road, we thought the area was creepy and the murals are very militaristic. During the Troubles, this was home turf for gangs who committed the most brutal sectarian violence, murdering scores of Catholics across Belfast. Now, the gangs have turned their enterprise to drug dealing. I didn't take any photos with my phone so you'll just have to wait for me to upload my proper photos to ipernity.

Stats:
£3.50 top up bus pass
£2.75 sandwich and crisps in Bushmills
£11.50 entry fee for Giant's Causeway
£3.40 pint of Guinness in Cushendun
£3.50 soup and bread for dinner

15,786 steps, 6.58 miles

4 comments:

  1. Blimey, I didn't expect an entry fee for the Giant's Causeway! Worth Going To See, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entry fee is actually for the visitors Centre and includes parking. The site itself is free.

      Delete
  2. How was the Guinness? Is there deliberate preservation effort for murals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,
    I have written a really detailed guide on how to tour the Peace Walls and I was wondering if you would be interested in linking to it? I have tons of photos as well that I would be more than happy to let you use if you are interested?
    Take a peek: https://britonthemove.com/belfast-ireland And, let me know if you would like some photos to add. Thanks Nikki

    ReplyDelete